You love gadgets, are the go-to authority on science-fiction and science fact, and are well-connected in the social fabric of friends and family. You’re always looking for a great tech adventure wherever you travel, and your next destination is Gainesville, Florida. So, what special activity will you choose? Here are four of the top attractions especially for you.
- Try Your Hand at Old School Gaming
There really isn’t anything quite like games from a bygone era. Immerse yourself in the clangs, bells and flashing lights from a multitude of pinball machines. Try your skills at vintage video games like Ms. Pac-Man, Centipede, and Robotron. Or integrate with real-world play in a competition of foosball, Skee-Ball, or NBA Jam. There is something for everyone at The Arcade Bar on 6 East University Ave.
- Escape the Ordinary – If You Can!
Friends and family need to work together to find their way out of a room by finding answers to clues at UFO Video, 605 NW 53rd Ave. The UFO Video experience is suitable for groups of two to six players. You can choose from three different and challenging scenarios:
- BRAINWASHED!: You and your team must overcome the devious Polybius virus and escape in one hour. You will find the clues you need in 1980s VHS tapes that some say were stolen from a secret 1980s CIA mind-control testing facility.
- UFOS ARE REAL: Rummaging through an authentic 1990s video rental store, your team must solve a complex puzzle by piecing together the video evidence. Success brings with it a unique prize.
- Do Not Open The Illuminati Box™: If you know about the Tamam Shud mystery case (also known as the Somerton Man) and feel that you are up for a particularly difficult challenge, then this is the one for you. It’s ninety minutes of enigmatic cryptography gaming pleasure. Only one team in five has won the game – can you?
- The Sky Isn’t the Limit
Heavenly bodies, bright lights, and music are awaiting you at the Kika Silva Pla Planetarium, Northwest Campus, Santa Fe College, 3000 NW 83rd St. Sit back and open your horizons in a guided, 60-minute night sky tour with James Albury, co-host of the weekly PBS TV Show “Star Gazers”. Through the magic of the GOTO Chronos Space Simulator, a special planetarium projector, you will witness the beauty of the cosmos from the stars to the planets.
- A Fun and Educational Family Day
Sharks, butterflies, fossils and more! Spend part of your day at the Florida Museum of Natural History, 3215 Hull Road. Visit the many permanent exhibits and check out the limited time only exhibits that are sure to keep the attention and interest of children and adults alike.
Gainesville is a great destination at any time of the year, and the indoor attractions above are great options even when the weather isn’t at its best. Be sure to include these four fun locations on your trip list.